Connect with a recent graduate to guide you through job hunting, applications, and industry insights. Learn how to develop a mentoring relationship and make new connections.
About the global mentoring programme
The programme offers final year undergraduate students, and recent graduates, the opportunity to prepare for life after graduation by matching you with an alumni mentor who studied at Sussex. Your mentor will be there to support you with your career journey, and can share guidance on:
- job hunting such as applying for graduate schemes and opportunities
- industry insights
- working for small/medium/large corporations
- working internationally
- transferring your skills to a new industry
- general advice, such as transitioning from university and being your authentic self in the workplace.
We aim to match you with a Sussex alumni mentor based on your industry interests and the aspects of early career development you would particularly like support with.
Why you should take part
- You will have the chance to form new, potentially global, connections by matching with a mentor anywhere in the world – currently over 40% of our alumni on Sussex Connect (our global eMentoring platform) work based outside the UK. This gives you the chance to hear about international careers.
- Improve your confidence in meeting new people and making meaningful connections.
- Gain invaluable insights and knowledge from a Sussex graduate who has gone through the process and understands their industry.
- Learn how to strategise your job hunting and access information and advice from an experienced professional.
- Find out about the different directions your degree could take you.
- Receive honest advice on life after university.
Sussex student Muriam Bi (International Development BA) and alumnus Jon Rosser (Geography 1973) took part in the Global Mentoring Programme in 2021. Read their mentoring story to find out more about their experiences.
How it works
- The programme runs December 2022 – April 2023 (five months). You will meet online a minimum of one hour once a month, or more if agreed.
- The Career Lab and Alumni team will review applications and inform applicants if they have been accepted onto the programme and matched with a mentor. There are limited spaces and we do our best to accommodate a match based on your industry interests and the aspects of early career development you would like support with.
- The Programme Leads will provide guidance and clear expectations.
- There will be key touchpoints throughout the year and the optional opportunities to attend additional training and workshops sessions to enhance your experience.
- The Career Lab team remains available throughout to offer guidance and support.
- Both mentees and mentors will complete a short agreement form and feedback form.
How to apply
Applications are now closed for 2022-23.
Our Global Mentoring Programme will be hosted through Sussex Connect, the University of Sussex global eMentoring platform. If you have not already registered, it is quick and easy to set up a profile and there is the option to sign up through LinkedIn.
To take part in the programme, recent graduates will need access to CareerHub. Your graduate account opens automatically, and you will receive login instructions to your personal email address, as you will lose access to your Sussex email. If you did not receive the email, or have a new personal email address, contact us.
If you have any questions email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.