Find out about course transfers and adding or removing years of your degree.

Transferring to a different course

At specific times of year you may be able to transfer to a different course if:

  • you meet the entry requirements
  • there are places available.

You apply for a transfer through the School which offers the course you wish to take.

A Student Life Advisor can help you consider your reasons for wanting to transfer.

The transfer process

If you want to transfer, this is only possible during an open transfer window (usually in the first week or two of each term).

You should contact the School office for the course you wish to change to. They will advise you on the transfer process.

If you have a visa

If you’re studying at Sussex with a visa, check how changing your course might affect your visa.

Exemption from a year abroad

If you’re happy on your course, but it includes a year abroad that you want exemption from, you should:

  • see your Year Abroad tutor and discuss what you need to do to request exemption
  • speak to the Study Abroad office to see if exemption will affect your degree title.

Adding or removing a placement year

If your course does not include a placement year, you can add a placement year to your existing course.

To do this, you need to secure a placement first and tell us by submitting a Placements Secured form on CareerHub.

You can still work your way through our Placements Preparation Programme, whether you’re on a placement course or not.

To get started, log into Career Hub and register your interest in a placement.

If your course includes a placement year, and you’d like to remove it, you can do this at any point.

However, we recommend waiting until the end of your second year – you may change your plans again and it does not matter if you stay on your placement course until you are certain you don’t want to do a placement year.

If you’re still looking at courses

See what to do if you want to make changes to your application to study with us.