Health requirements for housing

Find out how to apply for housing that meets your needs if you have a declared disability or long-term health condition.

Tell us if you have additional needs

If a healthcare professional has recommended you live in a specific type of accommodation, you can make a request for reasonable adjustments to receive a place in University-managed housing that meets your needs.

We have rooms and facilities that are:

  • wheelchair-accessible
  • equipped for care support
  • accessible if you have a hearing or visual impairment.

We try to fulfil reasonable adjustment requests, subject to availability, but cannot guarantee accommodation needs are met.

New students

To make a request for the start of the academic year, you must:

  • complete our online housing application, and submit any supporting evidence by the application deadline of 30 June (the form will be emailed to you by our admissions team)
  • highlight that you have additional requirements on the form
  • provide further details of your requirements (for example details of your required room type and how this supports your needs) on another form that will be sent to you by our housing services team.

Current students

If you are a continuing student with a declared disability or health condition you may be eligible to apply for University-managed accommodation for the start of the academic year.

You must complete our application form [DOC 58KB] before 1 June and email it to

Your application will be assessed by a panel of disability advisors. If the Student Support Unit accept your application, the Housing Services team will contact you in July about your housing allocation.

Late applications

If you miss the deadline for applications and need to submit a late application, you must complete our application form [DOC 58KB] and email it to We cannot guarantee housing if you submit your application late.

Mid-term applications

If you are part-way through the academic year, and find you need to apply for alternative accommodation because of a change of circumstance, you should contact:

  • the Student Support Unit to see if they can recommend reasonable adjustment for housing
  • our housing services team to find out if suitable accommodation is available

We cannot guarantee accommodation if you submitted your application part-way through the year.

Medical evidence

You’ll need to provide supporting medical evidence by the application deadline of 30 June. Medical evidence submitted after this time will not be considered.

If you qualify for an en-suite bedroom based on your needs, you may receive a partial credit on your rent costs. This must be endorsed by the Student Support Unit and based on medical evidence.

See more from Living with us