Find out what options there are for getting to Sussex from the airport.
How to get to Sussex
Find out how to get to the University of Sussex campus if you are travelling by train, car, bus or taxi. There are many ways to get here.
If you’re moving into accommodation on campus, make sure you have booked a time slot with Housing Services. You do this at the end of the online housing induction. You can then plan your journey to Sussex around your time slot.
Travelling from Heathrow Airport
A Sussex Welcome Team in blue T-shirts will be in the Terminal 3 and Terminal 5 arrivals areas over Welcome Weekend between 6.30am and 10pm on the Saturday and between 6.30am and 6pm on the Sunday. They can answer your questions and direct you to our University coaches or other public transport options for your journey to Brighton, or Falmer if you are heading to campus.
A National Express public coach takes about two hours to get to Brighton from Heathrow. Tickets are about £30 and coaches run every hour from a station between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 and a stop at Terminal 4. You can buy tickets through the National Express website.
National Express coaches arrive at Pool Valley Coach Station in Brighton. You can get a taxi from East Street or a bus from Old Steine to your accommodation.
The train is not recommended if you have heavy luggage. You can get an underground or overground train from Heathrow Airport into London. You can plan a journey on the Transport for London website and download a map of the London Underground train network. You can get trains from London Bridge and London Victoria to Brighton Station, and from Brighton Station to Falmer Station if you're heading to campus. Use the National Rail website to plan your journey.
Look out for our helpers in blue T-shirts at Pool Valley Coach Station and Brighton Station between 9am and 5pm over Welcome Weekend.
Book a University coach from Heathrow
You can book a University coach from Heathrow Airport to get you to your accommodation.
Coaches depart at scheduled times on Welcome Weekend between 8am and 8.30pm on the Saturday and between 9.30am and 6pm on the Sunday.
There are four stopping points for the coach:
- Kings Road residence (for Kings Road, Hove Hotels, and others living in that area)
- Abacus House, Baker Street
- Campus, Brighthelm bus stop
- Campus (Stanmer Court residents only).
If your accommodation is managed by us, a student helper will tell you where to get your keys.
If you are renting privately, you will need to decide where you will be dropped off.
- Terms and conditions of coach travel
- You must have booked your flight before you buy a coach ticket.
- You must allow two hours between your flight arrival time and your coach time. It is your responsibility to arrive at the Terminal 5 meeting point on time. You should report to the International Welcome Team there at least 20 minutes before your bus leaves.
- Bookings close midnight Wednesday 12 September. Places are limited on each coach and are allocated on a first-come first-served basis so book early.
- Your luggage allowance is one large suitcase/bag in the hold and one piece of hand luggage in the coach. If you arrive with more than this we cannot guarantee your place on the coach and you may have to make your own way to Brighton.
- We do not accept liability for loss or damage to personal belongings or luggage. Ensure you have adequate insurance cover.
- If your plans change and you can no longer travel on your booked day and time, email email@example.com as soon as possible. We will try to change your booking to an alternative service but this depends on availability. We do not offer refunds, except in very exceptional circumstances.
- If you miss your booked coach because of a delay to your flight time, we will do our best to put you on the next available service. If this is not possible, there are public coach and train services to Brighton from Heathrow and our helpers will assist you with this. You will have to pay for your own ticket. You cannot get a refund.
If you have a disability or use a wheelchair, and need extra assistance with your travel, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Travelling from Gatwick Airport
A Sussex Welcome Team in blue T-shirts will be based in the South Terminal international arrivals hall on Welcome Weekend between 9am and 5pm on the Saturday and Sunday. They can answer your questions and give advice about transport to Brighton.
If you are travelling from Gatwick Airport, you can get a train to Brighton Station, where there are connections for Falmer Station if you are heading to campus.
You can also book a taxi from the airport directly to campus or your accommodation. This will be quicker but it can be more expensive.
Brighton Station shuttle bus
If you’re an international student living in Abacus House, Kings Road residence, Langfords Hotel or Imperial Hotel, you can get a free shuttle bus to your accommodation. Look out for our helpers at Brighton Station between 9am and 5pm over Welcome Weekend.
Falmer Station shuttle bus
If you’re arriving by train and living on campus, you can get a free shuttle bus to your accommodation. Look out for our helpers in blue T-shirts at Falmer Station between 9am and 5pm over Welcome Weekend.