Find out if you are guaranteed University-managed housing before you start at Sussex and what you can do in advance to make life easier.

Make sure you have a room

You’re guaranteed accommodation if you are a full-time undergraduate student and you have made Sussex your firm choice through UCAS by our housing deadline. You are guaranteed accommodation for your first year of study.

You’re also guaranteed housing if you’re a non-UK full-time student, who has made the housing application and paid the tuition fee deposit, and is studying:

  • a Masters
  • the first year of a PhD for a full academic year.

In some other scenarios you’re also guaranteed a room.

For full details and deadline information, read our accommodation guarantee.

Defining University-managed accommodation

University-managed accommodation comprises rooms, flats and houses that are run and maintained by Sussex or our partners. These fall into two categories:

Other accommodation, not managed by us, is run privately. You rent this through letting agencies or private landlords. We can help you find privately rented accommodation.

If you don’t have accommodation

Your housing options depend on your study status.

You may be able to join a waiting list for University-managed accommodation. Housing with us is not guaranteed.

You can also search for accommodation in the private sector. Email if you need advice.

If you’re not in your first year of study

You should look for privately-rented accommodation. University-managed housing is prioritised for new students.

If you don’t get (or want) University-managed accommodation, you can still rent privately in the areas surrounding campus. We will advise you on the best way to do this.

Complete our housing induction

If you’re staying in University-managed accommodation, you should complete our housing induction before you arrive.

Log in to our online housing portal to do this. This is different from Online Registration, which all students must complete.

Book an arrival time slot

If you are living in University-managed accommodation, you should book a time slot to collect your key. If you’re living on campus, this is also when you’ll move into your room. If you’re off campus, find out when and where to collect your key.

You can book a time slot at the end of the online housing induction.

Time slots are only available for students arriving over the September Welcome Weekend. Further details will be included in your accommodation offer letter.


Reporting issues with your accommodation

Read our residential support and guidance if you are unhappy or have a question about your accommodation.

Accommodation charges

If you have applied for and accepted university-managed accommodation, you will be charged from the contract date even if you arrive after that date.

See more about paying accommodation fees.


You may cancel your university accommodation, without penalty, provided this is done before Welcome Weekend and only if you have not yet moved into the room.

You must tell the Housing Office in writing, prior to this date, of your wish to cancel your housing agreement.

If you leave after arriving

If you withdraw from your course after arrival, you may cancel your housing agreement with four weeks written notice. See the Terms and Conditions of Residence.

Prospective students

If you’re still browsing courses at Sussex, discover our accommodation.

See more from Before you arrive