Request a letter to prove your status as a student and get forms completed by the University.
Why you might need a letter
We issue letters for students who need to prove they study at Sussex.
If you require a non-standard letter, contact your School of Study who will do their best to assist.
Getting forms approved
You can also ask us to sign forms – skip to getting official forms signed.
What you can request a letter for
You can request a letter for:
- a summary of your enrolment with the University
- proof of your term-time address
- claiming exemption from council tax – guidance about council tax
- a bank account, as an international student – guidance about opening a bank account in the UK
- guests or visitors who need a visa to visit you in the UK – guidance about visas for graduation
- showing you have completed all final year assessments and are waiting for your final degree result
- proving you have been awarded your degree – this is not the same as getting a transcript
- travelling abroad while studying – guidance about travelling outside the UK
- proof you can work in the UK with a visa – guidance about working during your studies.
When to request letters
You can request most letters throughout the year, except letters for:
- council tax exemption – you can only ask for this after you have completed registration
- showing you are waiting for your final degree result – you can only get this after you have submitted your final assessment
- proving you have been awarded your degree – you can only ask for this after your final results are published in Sussex Direct.
Creating letters is a manual process and can take time, particularly during busy periods. You can help by:
- making sure the information you provide is accurate and up-to-date
- applying in plenty of time
- replying to the automated response email, that you receive after you request a letter, if you have any queries.
Allow up to 10 working days for your letter to be emailed to you, or three working days for a bank letter (international students only).
If you need something approved, we can check, complete and sign official forms such as:
- confirmation of registration forms
- Department for Education and Skills (DfES) forms
- pension forms
- Canadian loan and tax forms
- Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) forms.
You can scan or take a picture of the form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will usually print out the image of the form you have sent us, complete it and then scan it to send back to you by email.
We aim to complete form requests in two to three days.