If you are an international student, you may need to apply for a student visa to study at Sussex. Find out what you need to do before you arrive.

Other visas for studying at Sussex

If you’re an international student and you’re studying a full undergraduate or Masters course, you will need a student visa unless your current immigration permission allows you to study with us.

If you already have permission to study in a different immigration category, you:

  • should consider carefully whether you will be able to comply with any specific conditions attached to that visa (for example, any particular employment attached to your visa conditions) as well as being able to study a full-time course – if the Home Office thinks you’re not meeting the requirements of your original visa, your permission to stay in the UK may be cancelled
  • may need to extend your existing permission or switch to a student visa if your current visa does not cover the length of the course
  • must tell us immediately if there are any changes to your immigration permission (or those of the main visa holder if you are a dependant).

There are other kinds of visa you can apply for, such as a short-term study or standard visitor visa, depending on your situation.

You only qualify for the Graduate Route visa if you have studied on your course with Student permission for at least 12 months. For courses shorter than 12 months, you must have studied the whole course in the UK with Student permission.

If you’re not sure if your visa allows you to study with us, email the relevant Admissions contact: 


If you’re thinking about getting a job, see our advice first about working while studying or working after your studies.

Part-time student visas

Unfortunately, we do not offer this as a study option.

Distance learning

If you’re interested in part-time Sussex courses as an international student, take a look at our postgraduate distance learning courses.

You may need a short-term study or standard visitor visa if you choose to visit the UK as part of your course.

See more from Visas and immigration