Student Hub

Know the rules about being employed during your studies or after you leave Sussex – whether you want to volunteer, get a job or go on a work placement.

Getting a National Insurance number

As well as the right visa, you’ll need a National Insurance number if you choose to work in the UK.

See how to get a National Insurance number.

Working with a visitor visa

You cannot work in the UK if you hold a visitor visa. You must hold a valid working visa to earn money in the UK.

Find out about the different visas people can get if they’re studying or working at Sussex.

Undertaking a work placement

Doing a work placement as part of your course gives you the opportunity to experience working in a sector related to your interests.

If the placement was part of your course when you applied for your Tier 4 visa, then your visa should already cover your entire course.

If you want to add a placement to your degree, or remove one, this will mean changes to your course of study.

Voluntary work

Find out about different types of voluntary work on the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.

See volunteering opportunities at Sussex.

Term dates

See our academic year dates to check your study schedule.