Find out how to make a complaint about the University or another student and how to appeal an academic decision. You can also see what to do if an allegation has been made against you.

If there has been an allegation against you

Find out what to do if you have been reported for academic misconduct.

If you have been reported for an alleged discipline issue, see how the process works.

This could include a:

  • complaint from another student
  • police matter
  • complaint from a member of the public.

Getting help

If you need support with a complaint, an appeal or an allegation, you can go to:

Comments or concerns about our process

We aim to deliver a high standard in everything we do. If you have any feedback, let us know.

You can:

We don’t accept complaints relating to University policy and management. This is because they are overseen by properly-constituted University governance bodies.

If you are dissatisfied with our policies and management, speak to your Students’ Union Sabbatical Officers. They are members on most University governance bodies and can raise your concern.

Other complaints

If you’re not a current student at Sussex, but you have a concern, see our:


We encourage you to consider alternative dispute resolutions as a way of solving issues.

Mediation is a free and confidential process that everyone concerned must agree to participate in.

It helps people attempt to find their own resolution to the problem with an impartial, independent and trained third party.

Find out about our:

Independent review

If you’re not happy with the outcome of a complaint or an appeal, you can contact the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (the OIA).

The OIA provides an independent scheme for the review of student complaints and appeals.

Once you have reached the end of our process, we will give you a Completion of Procedures document.

To request a review by the OIA, you will need to contact it within 12 months of the date of your Completion of Procedures document.

You do not need to exhaust both the complaints and appeals processes before going to the OIA.

Example: If you’re dissatisfied with the outcome of one process (an appeal), but you’re awaiting the result of another process (a complaint), you may submit your application to the OIA regarding the appeal without waiting until both processes have been completed.

We reserve the right to decide, in a given case, which route is best for handling your issue.

We also reserve the right not to allow the re-examination of issues that have already been appropriately reviewed by one process to also be reviewed by another process.

Find out more about the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA).

If you want more advice, you can go to the Support and Advocacy Team in the Students’ Union.