Find out about the services available if you are unwell or need to arrange healthcare.

What to do if you’re ill

If you’re feeling unwell, you have a few options.

Urgent and emergency medical services

The NHS (National Health Service) provides a number of urgent and emergency care services depending on the urgency of the care required.

To help you decide which service you require, check the NHS information here.

Calling an ambulance

If you are on campus, call 999 for an ambulance and you will be asked a series of questions about your illness/injury. You must also call Security on 3333 (internal phone) or 01273 873333 (other phones) as this team can provide first aid and can also guide the ambulance to your location on campus.

If you suspect you may have an infectious illness, keep away from other people and ask for help via your phone or ask your flatmates to call for help.

NHS 111

NHS 111 can help if you need urgent medical advice, or you don’t know what to do.

They will ask questions about your symptoms, so you get the help you need.

If you need to go to A&E, NHS 111 will book an arrival time. This might mean you spend less time in A&E. This also helps with social distancing.

You can get help from or call 111. It’s available 24-hours a day, 7-days a week.

Get help from NHS 111 online service.

Walk-in services

You can go to an urgent treatment centre (walk-in centre or minor injuries unit) if you need urgent medical attention, but it’s not a life-threatening situation.

Find out more about urgent treatment centres.

The nearest walk-in centres to campus are:

Holiday opening hours

Some services may operate different opening hours during holidays such as over Christmas period, so it’s best to check in advance before you go.


It’s important to register with a doctor (known as a General Practitioner or GP) near where you live while at university, as soon as possible, so that you can receive medical help if you become unwell.

GPs are the first point of contact for most people experiencing non-emergency health problems, and are able to support you to get a diagnosis and access treatment for physical and mental health issues.

If you are an international student, find out about the health services available to you.

On campus

We have an on-campus NHS health centre.

You must live on campus or within the Brighton and Hove catchment area to be eligible to register.

Off campus

You can use the NHS Choices website to find a doctor near you if you live outside the campus health centre’s catchment area.

Transferring your specialist or secondary care

If you are currently receiving specialist NHS care for either a mental or physical health condition, it is essential that you ask the health professionals treating you to transfer this care to local providers, such as Sussex Partnership NHS Trust, in advance of your arrival here.


We advise you to register with a dentist. If you are registered with a dentist at home, you may prefer to stay registered there. Alternatively, you can find a local surgery.

You have to pay for most treatments, even if you’re registered with the NHS. Find out how much NHS treatment generally costs and whether you have to pay.


Your local pharmacist can advise you on how to treat common minor illneses, give advice on medicines, and help you decide whether or not you need to see your GP (General Practitioner or doctor).

Many pharmacies also provide services such as emergency contraception.

Find out about the campus pharmacy which is next to the Student Centre.

Use the NHS Choices service finder to find a pharmacy close to your home.

Find out how to register for healthcare.


It is important that you consider getting your vaccinations.

Find useful information on vaccinations here.

When to sort out your healthcare

The best time to arrange healthcare is when starting as a new student.

Healthcare for international students

Check your healthcare entitlements if you’re a student from outside the UK.