Find out how to collect your username and password and register online.
Started in January?
If you’re a postgraduate research student, take a look at the Doctoral School web pages.
How to start Online Registration
You will receive an email containing your candidate number and instructions on how to complete Online Registration.
Registration is important because it means you are officially a member of the University.
- activates your IT login and Sussex email account
- opens your Library account
- gives you membership of the Students’ Union.
Your printing account is set up the first time you log into a campus computer.
You should register before you start your course.
Supplying a photograph
You must upload a picture of yourself during Online Registration. This is for your student ID card.
The picture must be:
- a portrait headshot with only you in the photo
- recent and a true likeness
- in colour
- clear, in focus and free from red-eye or shadow
- free of reflection or glare from glasses.
- face forward, look at the camera, with eyes open and nothing covering your face
- not wear sunglasses
- not wear a hat or cover your head unless for medical or religious reasons.
Try not to lose your card as you may be charged for a replacement.
If you need a visa to study in the UK, you will need to complete some parts of registration in person. This is where you also pick up your biometric residence permit (BRP), unless you have chosen to collect it elsewhere, or show your BRP to complete in-person registration.
You must bring your passport and a document that proves you can study in the UK so we can take copies.
This could be either:
- a visa, visa stamps in your passport or BRP
- an immigration status document.
If you applied for a Tier 4 visa outside the UK, we will also need to take a copy of the 30-day vignette (sticker) in your passport. This is to check your vignette is valid. It should have been date-stamped by a Border Force Officer when you arrived. If not, bring your boarding pass or travel ticket instead.
If your visa application is pending, you must bring:
- your passport, or a copy of your passport if it's with UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)
- the UKVI checklist you get after you have applied for your visa, or other proof of application
- a copy of your most recent visa.
In some cases we may need to check the status of your immigration application with UKVI before you can register.
While completing registration, you can also pick up your student ID card.
Getting your student ID card
If you have received your student ID card in the post, you do not need to do anything else.
If you have not received it, find out how to collect your student ID card.
Your student ID card is also your Library card.
Paying your tuition and accommodation fees
You pay your tuition fees and accommodation fees as part of the Online Registration process. You will be guided through this by the system.
Even if you have to complete registration in-person, you should still pay your fees as part of the Online Registration process.
If you’re paying fees through a student loan, you will see this displayed on the funding page in Online Registration.
If you have a scholarship, this will show in the registration process. If your scholarship is not showing, email email@example.com.
Criminal convictions disclosure
As part of our safeguarding obligations to all members of our campus community, we require all students to let us know if they have any “relevant unspent” criminal convictions. You will be asked about this during Online Registration.
Read more about our policy around criminal convictions.