Find out what to do if you’re finding it difficult to attend classes, submit work or sit exams due to personal issues.

Missing classes

If you’ve missed a class you should:

  • email the tutor to apologise
  • catch up with missed work (you can find some lecture notes online).

If you are unable to attend or engage for more than six days due to illness, incapacity, emegency or other vaild reason, contact the School Director of Student Experience (DOSE) through your School Office.

See the policy on authorised absence.

Your school will advise you on your attendance level and a Student Advisor may contact you to offer support.

If you’re finding it difficult to get to your classes you should contact a Student Advisor for help.

If you don’t meet the attendance requirement set by your School, you could be asked to withdraw from your studies.

You will be contacted by your School if your attendance is a concern. You should tell them if you want to remain on your course.

In rare cases, schools can instigate a process to permanently withdraw students who are not attending.

Submitting work late

If you submit work late you may face some penalities.

Formal assessments

If you do not submit a formal assessment you will receive a fail for the piece of work, which may make it difficult to pass the year.

If you do not pass a module, you will be offered the chance to resit assessments during the summer, but the maximum mark awarded will be capped at the pass mark.

Find out more about credits and marks towards your degree.

Health or personal issues

If you’ve suffered from illness or have experienced personal issues that have caused you to submit work late or miss exams, we may take this into consideration when marking your work.

Find out about claiming for exceptional circumstances.

You can also speak to staff in the Student Centre, who can advise you on submitting an exceptional circumstances claim and identify any additional support needs.

You can also see help, support and advice for your health and wellbeing.