If you want to stay in your property, find out about new fixed-term contracts or periodic agreements. It is important to discuss this with your letting agent or landlord in writing to maintain a record of your correspondence.

New fixed-term contract

If you want a new fixed-term agreement you should agree with your landlord on:

  • the length and dates of the new agreement (in most cases student tenancy terms are 12 months)
  • the rental amount of the new agreement (this may be different to the rent you are currently paying, so it is important to check)
  • if there are any new clauses (you may now be required to maintain the garden for example)

Your landlord or letting agent will usually get in touch with you before the end of your agreement to find out if you want to stay. They will usually give a deadline for this.

If you decide not to renew, the landlord can market the property and start showing prospective new tenants around. They will need to give you reasonable (typically, at least 24 hours) notice prior to any viewings in your home.

If you do not hear from your landlord or agent about renewing, get in touch with them as soon as possible. We would always recommend you do so in writing.

If you and your landlord do not agree on a new fixed-term contract, and you and your landlord have not given notice to say you will be leaving at the end, your agreement will automatically change to a periodic tenancy at the end of your fixed term.

Joint tenancies

If some of your housemates do not want to continue living in the property, but you do, make sure you get a new group together and agree on a new contract with an agent or landlord.

If neither you or the landlord have given notice and some of your group stay on past the end of the tenancy, the original contract will continue into a periodic agreement. Under a joint tenancy, only one tenant will need to give notice to end the tenancy for the whole group. It is important that you understand how to end a joint tenancy.

Tip: The Tenant Fees Act came into effect on 1 June 2019 and bans certain letting fees, including capping the holding fee to one week’s rent and the security deposit to five weeks’ rent. Your landlord or letting agent cannot charge a fee for renewing your tenancy, should you renew for a new term. This applies to all new tenancy and license agreements signed on or after 1 June 2019. For more information see the Government guidance for tenants.

Periodic agreements

These are agreements that run week to week or month to month, depending on how your rent is paid. These are also known as a rolling contract with no specific end date.

The agreement will continue on the same terms and you will be required to pay rent as normal.

This can give you more flexibility, as you will usually only need to give one month’s notice to move out. Your landlord can usually give you two months’ notice to move out.

See more from Moving out