If you don’t have a UK guarantor and need one to move into private sector accommodation, you can apply for the University to act as one on your behalf.
About the scheme
A rent guarantor scheme is a way of someone guaranteeing to pay your rent to a landlord or letting agent in the event that you’re unable to.
Many landlords want a UK-based guarantor when you sign an agreement with them.
We, as a university, help some students every year by acting as their guarantor.
- act as a guarantor for up to 20 Sussex students a year
- offer places on a first-come, first-served basis and subject to eligibility criteria
- integrate any awarded funding into the student’s University Sussex Direct account, recoverable via the usual University debt chasing process
- guarantee the maximum amount of £135 per week (£585 per calendar month) of rent only – this does not guarantee bills
- allow properties to be sourced only from Sussex Student Lettings or Sussex Student Pad.
To be eligible, you must:
- be a full-time registered undergraduate or postgraduate student not going into your first or final years of study for the year you are applying. For example, you’re eligible if you are going into year 1 after doing a foundation year. If you are in your final year of study, but are currently covered by the scheme, you are also eligible to re-apply
- demonstrate in your application that you’re unable to find a UK-based rent guarantor
- be renting in Brighton & Hove or Lewes through an assured shorthold tenancy
- be free of University debt, with agreed payment plans in place for fees
- not have any record of a serious behaviour incident at the University, such as antisocial behaviour in University-managed accommodation
- have evidence of adequate funding for living costs for the year
- have found the property through Sussex Student Pad or Sussex Student Lettings
- have found a property which is not being investigated by local authority planning enforcement teams for any breach in planning or other regulatory requirements
- have a tenancy agreement which requires a UK-based guarantor
- pay no more than £135 per week in rent (£585 per calendar month) excluding bills
- have a tenancy for a maximum of 52 weeks.
How to apply
To apply you must:
- find a property on Sussex Student Pad or Sussex Student Lettings
- complete the online application form below for the University to act as your guarantor, including submitting all required evidence. This includes uploading:
- a copy of your unsigned tenancy agreement
- your completed rent guarantor income and expenditure form [XLSX 12.7KB].
When the scheme opens
The scheme opens for applications in February 2020 for the 2020-21 academic year.
Applications close on 31 July 2020 at midnight.
Getting the outcome
You’ll get confirmation from us that your application is valid.
You will then receive a decision within 10 working days as to whether we will act as a guarantor.
If you’re successful, you must:
- pay a £50 non-refundable fee. This will be applied as a debt to your student account. You will also receive an award letter confirming that the University will act as your guarantor.
- meet our Money Advice team within 14 days of being accepted on to the scheme. The team can help you draw up financial management techniques and will provide advice on setting up payment plans with our Student Accounts team.
Once you’ve paid the fee, we will send the necessary paperwork to the landlord or letting agent to sign.
If you’re not successful
If you’re not awarded a place on the scheme, we can help you find private sector accommodation.