Find out about our complaints procedure and, in some cases, how you could be eligible for a rent rebate.
Making a complaint
You pay rent for the use of buildings and the provision of services (for example heating, lighting and hot water).
If you are unhappy with the way a problem with your living situation has been dealt with, you can complain.
In line with the University’s complaints procedure for students, the first step is to contact the area responsible.
- firstname.lastname@example.org, if your complaint is about your allocation or your rent amount
- your building manager, if your complaint is about maintenance or building facilities such as hot water or heating.
If you have a maintenance issue, allow a reasonable amount of time for this to be fixed.
After you submit a complaint
You should get a response to your complaint within ten working days. However, for ongoing or complex issues, this timescale may be extended. We will let you know if this happens.
Once you’ve received a reply, if you feel your complaint has not been resolved, you can elevate your complaint according to the University complaints procedure for students.
Making a rent rebate claim
You can also request a rent rebate, after your issue has been resolved, if all of the following apply:
- part of the building or a service is out of action for longer than our minimum response times for maintenance matters
- you have exhausted the Residential Escalation Process [PDF 131KB]
- no reasonable alternative can be, or was, made.
You can only request a rent rebate after the maintenance issue has been resolved and within 30 days of that time.
Each complaint is dealt with on a case-by-case basis, so we cannot accept a completed form from one person on behalf of a group. Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
After you submit your request
You will get an automatic confirmation once you submit your rent rebate request form. Your request will be reviewed by Housing Services within the terms and conditions of your accommodation agreement and our Rent Rebate Policy [DOC 24KB].
You can expect a response within 10 working days.