Campus and Residential Support

Find out who to contact if you have a problem with your living situation in University-managed accommodation. We also have an out-of-hours crisis advice line if you’re privately renting.

Get 24-hour help

Support is available whether you’re living on campus, off campus or in the private sector.

Living on campus

If you have an emergency, call University Security on 01273 873333. Keep this phone number in your mobile contacts list in case you need help.

Security are first-aid trained, can contact the Campus and Residential Support team if needed, and can contact emergency services and guide them to your location.

You can visit our 24-hour reception at York House and speak to our security team. From 10am to 10pm a member of our Campus and Residential Support team will also be available. You can also get help if you, or someone else, is in distress or having a welfare crisis.

Living off campus

If you have an emergency and live off campus call 999 – the official emergency phone line for the UK.

University security can also advise you over the phone and will contact Campus and Residential Support for you, but they don’t attend emergencies off campus.

Privately renting

If you have an emergency and are living in privately-rented accommodation call 999.

Medical enquiries

Find out who to call with out-of-hours medical enquiries.

Issues with University-managed accommodation

If there’s a problem with the building, such as a faulty light or broken door, speak to your porter or building manager. If the issue occurs out of hours see the porter at the 24-hour reception in York House.

If you’re having problems with your flatmates, in the first instance try to discuss the issue with them.

If you’re still struggling or experiencing another welfare issue, such as messy flatmates, contact your Residential Adviser, who can support and mediate. They can also direct you to other services.

You’ll meet your Residential Adviser at the start of term and their contact details will be placed in your kitchen.

Swap rooms

If you would like to change rooms, we have a housing swap list.

Log into your Sussex Direct account to see this.

This option opens on the first day of autumn term.

Making your room your home

You can customise your space and make it a place of your own. You can shop for items at:

See more from Get help and support