See what housing options you have when studying abroad.

Finding somewhere to live

Finding somewhere to live abroad and dealing with practical living arrangements is an important part of the study abroad experience.

It is up to you to secure accommodation which meets your needs. You may want to speak to your host university to see what support they can offer.

University accommodation

Accommodation at partner institutions varies. If the option exists, you should apply as soon as the host institution allows. Do your research to find the best choice available for you.

In the US it is normal to have a roommate if you live in university-managed accommodation. Single rooms are rarely available, and normally only offered to students with medical or specific needs.

Private accommodation

Whether the partner university offers accommodation or not, you may decide you want to rent privately. This can be a good way to meet new people, make friends and learn the local language.

Here are some suggestions when looking for private accommodation: 

  • start looking for suitable accommodation early, to guarantee yourself a place
  • if you have not arranged private accommodation beforehand and need to house hunt, we recommend that you travel at least 2 to 3 weeks before the semester starts
  • don't rush into signing a tenancy agreement without carefully reading the contract. Ask colleagues in the Exchange Office of the host university for assistance
  • don't transfer any payment until you are sure that the offer of accommodation is genuine
  • make sure you have met all of your future flatmates before signing a contract
  • for your own safety, do not arrange property viewings on your own
  • we can try to put you in contact with a past study abroad student, or another student that may be going to the same partner university.

Your accommodation at Sussex

You likely signed a tenancy agreement with us for a year. Make sure there is a replacement clause in your tenancy agreement and check the fees beforehand. Inform your landlord early of your departure date, and start looking for a replacement as soon as possible. If you come back in the middle of the year, contact the Housing Office ( to be put on a waiting list to get a university-managed room.

University-managed accommodation is limited for Sussex students beyond their first year of study.

See more from Preparing to go abroad – the essentials