Find out how to keep yourself and your property safe while living in private sector accommodation.

Ways to stay safe


Even before moving into private housing, ensure that:

  • when going to view a house you take someone with you, if possible; leave full details of where you are going and who you are meeting with a friend, and arrange to contact them once you have finished
  • the property is secure and that the area feels safe – it is a good idea to visit it at night as well as during the day
  • you meet all your prospective house mates and trust your instincts when deciding whether or not to move in.

Your welfare at home

To keep yourself and your property safe and secure, you should:

  • make sure your windows and doors close properly and lock. You should report any issues to your landlord
  • check you have shut the windows and locked the doors when you leave the property
  • keep valuable items out of sight and if you’ve bought new things don’t leave the empty boxes outside – this shows you have potentially expensive items in the house
  • shred bank statements and other personal correspondence to minimise the risk of ID theft
  • get contents insurance for your personal belongings
  • leave a light on in the house or invest in a light timer to make it look like the property is occupied when you are out
  • if you’re away for a while, such as during the holidays, take more expensive possessions like laptops home with you.

Report antisocial behaviour or harassment

If you experience antisocial behaviour or harassment seek help as soon as possible.

You can contact:

You should keep a record of any incidences.

If you need urgent help, call the police on 999.

If you need to contact the police for non-emergency incidents call 101.

Important: This service does not replace the emergency services. In an emergency you must call 999. This is free.

Resolving issues with housemates

Before something becomes an issue, see advice about getting on with housemates.

If you need to resolve conflict or difficulties with housemates, you can contact the School of Law Mediation Clinic.

See more from Living in the property