Find out about internship opportunities for first-year undergraduate students.
Insight schemes for first-year students
Insight schemes are short-term opportunities that offer you the chance to experience what it’s like to work in a corporate organisation. They usually run in the spring or summer break.
Search for insight opportunities
You can check organisations’ careers sites directly for opportunities, or use directories such as:
Some employers and organisations also offer insight days specifically for diverse students such as EDI (programmes, insights and resources for diverse students, including the I Accelerator programme). In partnership with Ambitious About Autism, we are supporting the Employ Autism campaign to increase employment opportunities for autistic students and graduates. Find out more about paid internships for autistic students and recent graduates.
Insight opportunities are most commonly available in the following sectors.
Banking, finance, business and consulting work experience
Look at insight days and spring weeks at places like EY, PwC, Barclays, KPMG, and Deloitte.
Diversity schemes include:
- HSBC – runs various insight events aimed at women, those with disabilities and health conditions, and black, Asian and minority ethnic applicants
- JP Morgan Winning Women – insight experience for female undergraduates interested in a career in financial services and leadership
- Nomura Women's Immersion – two-week paid insight programme in one of three divisions.
- Civil Service Early Diversity Internship Programme.
Law work experience
- open days at law firms like Hogan Lovell, Reed Smith
- summer insight schemes, for example, Clifford Chance’s SPARK scheme
- insight days or structured schemes that aim to foster and promote social diversity for example, Discuss, Aspire Law
- LawCareers.net and Legal 500 Future Lawyers for opportunities for first years.
IT and technology work experience
Take a look at:
- insight days and weeks at organisations like Metaswitch, Barclays, Deutsche Bank, KPMG, Financial Conduct Authority
- insight opportunities that aim to foster and promote social diversity for example, IT’s not just for the boys!
Science and engineering work experience
- insight days and spring weeks at organisations such as BP, Royal Navy, Unilever
- insight schemes that aim to foster and promote social diversity at BP’s Female discovery week, Future Female Engineers.
Further help and advice
If you need careers advice you can book an appointment with one of our career consultants via CareerHub.
- visit the Student Centre Welcome desk, 8.30am-5pm, Monday-Friday
- call 01273 075700, 9am-4.30pm, Monday-Friday.