See what to do if something is wrong on your visa or biometric residence permit.

If there’s a mistake on your BRP

Your biometric residence permit (BRP) is a card issued by the Home Office which shows your immigration permission. It holds biographic details (name, date and place of birth) and biometric information (facial image and fingerprints).

If you notice that something is incorrect, you must report errors to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) within 10 days of collecting your BRP.

Common errors include:

  • name
  • length of visa: for courses 12 months or longer at degree level or above, Student visas should expire four months after the course end date stated on your CAS
  • work conditions: students studying at degree level or above should have permission to work 20 hours per week in term time.

UKVI is very strict with this time frame. If more than 10 days have passed since you collected your BRP, contact us.

If you have been issued with a BRP that expires on 31 December 2024 but you know your immigration permission should go beyond this date, this is not an error. Find out more about checking your BRP details

Travel restrictions

If UKVI agrees to correct your BRP it will immediately cancel your current BRP. You will not be able to travel until you receive your new BRP.

If you have already left the UK, contact us urgently.

Any errors not reported to UKVI within 10 days may cause problems with working or taking resits.

If there’s a mistake on your digital immigration status

If you have been issued with digital immigration status, then you will have received a decision email/letter from the UKVI informing you of this status. In this email, there will be information about updating your information and personal details if you notice a mistake. If you cannot find this email, you can access your visa status, report any errors and update your information online.

Working with a BRP

If you want to work while studying, you will need a National Insurance number.

Find out how to apply for a National Insurance number.

Getting help with your BRP

If you need advice with your BRP, contact us.

See more from Arriving in the UK