Your biometric residence permit

Find out where to pick up your biometric residence permit (BRP) and which office at Sussex needs to see it after you arrive.

Collecting your BRP

Your biometric residence permit (BRP) is a card issued by the Home Office which shows your immigration permission.

It holds biographic details (name, date and place of birth) and biometric information (a picture of your face and your fingerprints).

If you are applying for a student visa from outside the UK, enter the Alternative Collection Location (ACL) code (found on your CAS statement) when making your visa application. 

If you have used the ACL code, your BRP will be delivered to the University.

When you have completed registration, we will email you with a link to book an appointment to collect your BRP.

You will need to bring your passport with you, which will contain a vignette (visa sticker in passport).

Your vignette should have been date-stamped by a Border Force Officer when you arrived. If not, we will need a scan of your boarding pass or travel ticket instead, as evidence of the date you arrived. If you used an e-gate, please let us know.

If you don’t have a BRP or vignette

If you do not have a BRP or vignette (for example, as an EU, EEA or Swiss national who used the new ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app) and received your immigration permission online, send us:

  • a scan of your passport
  • a scan of your boarding pass or ticket showing when you arrived in the UK
  • your “share code” from the ID Check app, so we can check your immigration permission – see how to view and prove your immigration status.

In some cases we may need to check the status of your immigration application with UKVI before you can register as a student.

If you already have your BRP

If your BRP was delivered to your home address in the UK, or you picked it up from a post office, upload clear colour images of the front and back in the Online Registration system. We need this for our records.

Important: If you’re arriving late and you have a student visa, we’re obliged to tell UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). Once we have contacted you for a scanned copy of your BRP, please send it as soon as possible.

Checking your BRP

Make sure all the details on your BRP are correct, including your:

  • name, nationality and date of birth
  • visa expiry date
  • university sponsor number
  • working conditions
  • police registration condition – if this applies to you.

Most students won’t have a national insurance number on their BRP. You will need to apply for one if you want to work in the UK.

If something isn’t right, find out about correcting errors on your BRP.

You need to correct any errors within 10 days of collecting your BRP.

If your BRP expires in December 2024

If you have been issued with a BRP that expires on 31 December 2024 but you know your immigration permission should go beyond this date, this is not an error.

You will not need a BRP from 1 January 2025 because you’ll be able to prove your immigration status online without a BRP.

You do not need to do anything and your immigration status will not be affected.

The Home Office will provide details on how to update your BRP in early 2024.

Your BRP and other forms of Sussex ID

Your BRP is different from your student ID card. You will get this with your BRP once you have completed all elements of the Sussex registration process.

Important: Only use your BRP as a form of identification where you need to show your immigration status – for example, if you’re applying for a bank account, national insurance number to work or UK driving licence.

You can also get an NUS card from the Students’ Union, which gives you deals and discounts, but it’s not an official form of identification.

Lost or stolen BRP

Check what to do if your:

See more from Arriving in the UK