Find out if you need to register with the police as an incoming student and how to do this.
Who needs to register
Some students starting at Sussex must register with the police. It’s a legal requirement as part of their visa.
If you need to register, it’s usually written on your visa vignette or BRP as “register with the police within seven days” or stated in your accompanying letter.
This applies to you if:
- you’re a student from a country on this government list (including Hong Kong and Macau passport-holders)
- And you have a visa (or permission to stay in the UK) for longer than six months.
If you have dual nationality you only need to do this if both nationalities are on the list.
Sussex Police is offering limited appointments in the mornings at police stations in Worthing, Brighton and Lewes, until further notice.
If your partner or children over 16 are coming with you, and they also need to register, they should also have this stated on their visa or in their letter.
How and when to register
You must book an appointment to register within seven days of your arrival in the UK.
If you’re already in the UK, and applied to extend your visa, you’ll need to book your appointment within seven days of receiving your new visa.
Email the police to book an appointment. There may be a delay – don’t worry about this.
You’ll receive a confirmation, telling you when and where your appointment will be.
You must attend your appointment and turn up on time. The police cannot usually rearrange appointments at short notice.
Important: Appointments are released on a monthly basis. If there are no available appointments, the police will tell you when to try again. It is your responsibility to email once every month until you secure your appointment. Keep a record of all emails you send to the police and receive from them as evidence that you have followed the Sussex Police registration process.
Make sure you take all the documents you need and pay the fee in advance (as instructed in your confirmation email). If you don’t do this, the police will not be able to see you.
What to bring with you
Check the Sussex Police appointment confirmation for the documents you must take with you.
Most students will need at least the following items:
- your passport
- your biometric residence permit (if you have one) and accompanying letter
- £34 fee paid online before the appointment
- two new passport-sized photographs
- proof that you’re a University of Sussex student – either your offer letter or your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies
- proof of your address, such as a bank statement or accommodation agreement
- the registration form supplied in your confirmation – completed and printed out.
If you don’t register
If you fail to register with the police, your permission to stay might be shortened and you’ll have to leave the UK. You can also be stopped from getting or extending a UK visa in future.
You could also have problems re-entering the UK or be fined up to £5,000.
The UK authorities will not accept you forgot or missed your appointment as an excuse.