Find out how about housing fees and how to pay for them.

What are housing fees?

You pay fees to stay in University-managed accommodation.

Fees can be paid either as an immediate payment or as part of a payment plan.These fees form part of your accommodation agreement (legally called a Licence to Occupy).

See more information on our accommodation options and how to secure University-managed housing.

How to pay

You can set up a payment plan with a debit or credit card. Each instalment will be a third (for undergraduate agreements) or a quarter (for postgraduate agreements) of your total accommodation charges.

You’ll set up your payment plan as part of the registration process or through your Sussex Direct account.

Go to Sussex Direct

If you do not have a payment plan in place, accommodation fees are due for immediate payment. Any additional charges (such as bedding, catering packs or replacement keys) are payable immediately, through your Sussex Direct account, by debit or credit card.


Undergraduate agreements are typically for 39 weeks, and are payable either in full or over the course of three instalments, as part of a payment plan. The three instalments will be taken in October, January and April, from your nominated debit or credit card.


If you’re studying a Masters or other postgraduate course, agreements are typically between 50 and 52 weeks. These are payable in full, or in four instalments as part of a payment plan. The four instalments will be taken in October, January, April and July, from your nominated debit or credit card.

Visiting and Exchange students

If you’re only staying with us for a single term, accommodation fees are payable in full, and can be paid online through Sussex Direct.

If you’re staying for two terms, you can either pay in full or in two instalments (typically payable in January and April for agreements beginning in January).

Sponsored accommodation

If your accommodation is being paid by a company or other organisation, you will need to provide an award letter confirming your funding to our Accommodation team.

Award letters should be signed and written on company letterhead, and will need to include your name, course, funding amount and funding duration. They must also specify your sponsor’s full contact details, including email address.

Once we have received your award letter, we will update your student account and issue an invoice to your sponsor.

Payment terms are strictly 30 days from the date the invoice is raised. If your sponsor does not pay, any outstanding amount will be transferred back to your student account and you will become liable for payment. Any unpaid fees will be subject to the Student Debt Recovery Policy [PDF 129KB].

If you don’t pay your accommodation fees

If you’re having trouble keeping up with your payments, contact us at the earliest opportunity so we can help you to resolve any issues.

If you don’t maintain regular payments, you may face:

  • termination of occupancy
  • possession proceedings
  • referral to debt recovery agencies
  • legal proceedings.

Find out more in our Student Debt Recovery Policy [PDF 129KB].

We offer face to face appointment sessions to students who are experiencing difficulties paying tuition fees, accommodation fees or any other charges. Contact us on with your Student ID, name and reason of appointment needed.

This service is available on Tuesdays between 10am to 1pm and 3pm to 4pm.


Your accommodation agreement provides further information about things like charges, reporting housing issues or leaving your accommodation early.

See more from University fees