If you have Covid-19 symptoms you must self-isolate and let us know using a simple form. All the details are available here.

University fees

Find out about paying tuition fees, accommodation costs and situations where you would be entitled to a refund.

If you withdraw from Sussex

Once you have confirmed your withdrawal from the University, your student record will be updated automatically, whether you choose to withdraw temporarily or permanently. This may take time to process.

Your fees will be amended in line with our Fee Liability Policy [PDF 160KB] or Rent Rebate Policy [DOC 24KB].

If you are leaving part way through a chargeable period, you’ll pay the full fee for that period. For example, a Masters student leaving in November pays tuition fees to the end of December.

When you return

If you withdraw temporarily, when you re-register you will need to:

  • pay any tuition fees due in full
  • set up a payment plan for your returning academic year.

Find out more about paying tuition fees.

If you owe us money

You may still have an outstanding balance to pay after you withdraw. You can view any balance, and pay with a debit or credit card, online through your Sussex Direct account.

If your withdrawal is temporary, we may contact you to arrange payment before you return, or to let you know about any other outstanding payments on your account (such as accommodation fees).

If you have permanently withdrawn you will need to pay any outstanding amount as soon as possible. To discuss your account, or arrange payment of your balance, call Accounts Receivable: 01273 678206.


If you have temporarily withdrawn, and your student account is in credit from a tuition fee payment, the credit will be held on your account to go towards any future tuition fees due when you return. You can, however, request a refund for any other credits, such as overpayment of accommodation charges.

If you have permanently withdrawn, and your student account is in credit, you can request a refund.