LGBT+ History Month 2023
Posted on behalf of: The EDI Unit
Last updated: Wednesday, 1 February 2023
LGBT+ History Month is celebrated in schools, Universities, workplaces and communities all across the UK every February. Launched in 2004, LGBT+ History Month holds space for claiming the past, celebrating the present and creating futures.
The theme of this year’s LGBT+ History Month is ‘Behind the Lens’, which invites us to ‘look ‘Behind the Lens’ and listen to LGBT+ peoples ‘lived experiences.’
Fitting with this theme, we will be launching an ‘LGBT+ Stories at Sussex’ Project later this month.
Look out for the Pride flag, which will be flying over Sussex House throughout February to mark LGBT+ History Month.
What is on at Sussex this LGBT+ History Month?
Over the coming weeks, the EDI Unit will be sharing a series of articles about upcoming projects and initiatives relating to LGBT+ inclusion and events taking place for LGBT+ History Month.
The Students’ Union is planning a series of events for LGBT+ History month. This will include: A Cultural Cabaret, Banner Making Session, Pride in Your Own Skin March and Queer Archive. There will also be a Queer Art Exhibition and party in Northfield bar on campus, as well as drag bingo. These events will be advertised soon in Students’ Union’s programme of events.
Schools and departments across the University are creating information articles and organising events. If you are organising an LGBT+ History event or activity in your school or department that you would like us to publicise through the EDI web pages, or you would like to discuss your ideas further, please email email@example.com.
Support for Staff and Students
Our Sussex community has a number of inclusive groups for both staff and students, including:
- Staff members who identify as LGBT+ can join our LGBT+ Staff Network by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our Trans and Non-binary Staff Network at Sussex is a confidential and a fully inclusive group open to all Sussex staff who identify as trans and/or non-binary. You can join the confidential mailing list by contacting email@example.com. The mailing list is monitored and only accessed by the Chair of the Trans and Nonbinary Staff Network to ensure confidentiality.
- Students who identify as trans and/or non-binary, or who are intersex, can contact the Students’ Union Trans and Nonbinary Group by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students who identify as LGBT+ can join the Students’ Union’s LGBTQ+ Society and contact the Students’ Union officers for support.
Other resources and Support:
- Staff can contact a Dignity and Respect Champion, who are there to support staff who want to raise concerns about Dignity and Respect at Sussex.
- Students can also find a number of resources and support at the Student Centre and on the Sexuality and Gender Support and Information web pages.