Find out what you need to pay when studying abroad.

Tuition fees

Our study abroad opportunities are part of exchange agreements with partner universities and ISEP Exchange. If you choose to study abroad, you will only pay tuition fees to Sussex, not to the other university.

For a year abroad, you will pay a reduced fee of 15% for that academic year. There is no change to what you pay during a semester abroad.

For summer schools abroad you may be required to pay the tuition fees and associated costs for the summer school. Some scholarships may be available towards this.

Other costs

There may be other costs involved during your study abroad, including:

  • visa (if necessary)
  • flights or transport
  • travel cover
  • health insurance
  • vaccinations (if necessary)
  • medical tests (needed by some countries to obtain a visa)
  • rent or student accommodation
  • meal plan, if in the USA
  • other non-tuition costs at partner universities (particularly in the USA, such as campus fees)
  • other costs (books, commuting and other general living costs).

Find out more about living costs for each region

Financial guarantee

If you are studying in the USA, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong or South Korea and for most of Europe, you will need to show proof you have access to a certain amount of money. This is part of your visa application. How much you need to guarantee will depend on the partner university or embassy.

Find out more.

Funding sources

Find out what kind of funding is available for your year or semester abroad.

Student Finance tuition loan

You can apply for a tuition loan in the usual way to pay your tuition fees to Sussex. For the year abroad, you will borrow 15% (not the full amount).

Student Finance maintenance loan

You can access your student maintenance loan as usual. For certain destinations, this is paid at a slightly higher rate.

Be sure to check with Student Finance how many years of funding you have remaining.

Travel grant

The UK government offers a means-tested travel grant to cover airfares and medical insurance, immunisations and visas.

If you are originally from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, you can check the criteria for any similar funding offered below:

Turing programme

The Turing Scheme is the UK’s global programme to study and work abroad. The scheme provides funding for international opportunities in education and training abroad. Please note in the first few years of Turing funding, we have not received
enough funding to offer all students studying abroad a grant. It is therefore important that you ensure you can study abroad without Turing funding. If you are meet the criteria to receive Turing funding and we allocate this to you, we will be in contact with you.


Find out what scholarships might be available to you to help fund your study abroad.

Budget tips for studying abroad

  1. Research the destination you want to study at in advance. Factor in estimated expenses, including rent, food, visas, vaccinations, health insurance and travel cover.
  2. Our partner universities’ websites are the best source of information, and you can also speak with students that have studied abroad.
  3. Costing comparison websites can also be a good tool to budget how much the cost of living is in a particular city or town.

Remember that finding work to supplement other sources of funding may not be possible due to student visa restrictions.

See more from Funding your study abroad