Even if you’re from another country, you can still get help if you need it. Find out what services are available to you as an international student.

Your healthcare entitlements

The NHS is the UK’s state-run health service. Some services are free and some you have to pay for.

The following NHS treatments are free for everyone:

  • some emergency treatment (but not follow-up treatment)
  • family planning services
  • treatment of certain communicable diseases
  • compulsory psychiatric treatment.

Other treatments will depend on your eligibility.

Important: If you overstay your visa, you won’t get the same entitlements. Contact our International Advice team urgently.

European Economic Area and Swiss nationals with Pre-Settled or Settled status

EEA nationals who have been granted Pre-Settled status or Settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme are entitled to the same medical treatment that is free to UK residents.

Studying on a student visa

If you’re studying on a student visa you pay an Immigration Health Surcharge as part of your application if you are:

  • an EEA national who arrived in the UK after 31 December 2020 and have not been granted Pre-Settled or Settled status
  • a non-EEA national.

You also pay this charge if you extend your visa.

Early arrival in the UK

If you plan to arrive in the UK before the start of your course, you should take out short-term medical insurance to cover you.

If you’re not covered by the NHS

If you are at Sussex on a short term study visa, or your programme lasts for fewer than six months, you’re only entitled to limited free NHS treatment.

You will have free hospital treatment in an NHS Accident and Emergency department. However, if you stay on a ward or have an outpatient appointment, charges will apply.

GPs may agree to treat you for free, but this will usually be limited to urgent treatment that cannot be delayed until you return home. You will have to pay for any other treatment as a private patient.

Private healthcare

Even if you qualify for free NHS treatment, you might want to be seen more quickly or get a higher level of treatment. To do this you would need comprehensive health insurance.

UK private medical treatment is very expensive. If you already have medical insurance in your home country, check if you can extend it to cover your stay in the UK.

Health and travelling

If you are travelling outside of the UK while you’re a student, check details of visas and health insurance.

Seeing a dentist

Dental treatment on the NHS is subsidised but not free. Dental surgery can be expensive, particularly if you choose a private dentist. Ask about the cost before having any treatment.

Find out how to register with a dentist.

Going to an optician

You can find local eye care services through the NHS Choices website. You have to pay to see an optician, so ask for information about costs before undergoing treatment.

If you need follow-up treatment at hospital, the cost depends on your eligibility.

Pharmacy and prescriptions

Our campus pharmacy, next to the Health Centre, can dispense medicines on prescription. There is a standard charge for prescribed medications.

Sources of help

There are different kinds of health support to help you stay well and succeed in your studies.

Going to the doctor

If you become unwell, speak to your doctor – sometimes called a general practitioner (GP). If you’re not registered with a doctor, you could visit a walk-in clinic. There is an NHS centre near Brighton train station. You may also like to contact the 111 service for non-emergencies.

Find out how to register for NHS health care.

Hospital appointments

Sometimes you might be referred to a more specialised doctor at a hospital rather than visiting a GP.

Show your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) or insurance documents at hospital appointments to avoid being charged.


While some countries charge up-front for emergency treatment, in the UK you can get help in an emergency straight away. Any costs you pay depend on your healthcare entitlements.

Your health and your studies

If you are worried about how your health might have an impact on your studies, speak to the Student Centre.

If you have a long-term health or learning condition, you can get ongoing help from the Disability Advice team.

Welfare call-back

If you have worries about anything including your studies, relationships, money issues or the way you are feeling, you can request a welfare call-back from the Student Centre.


If you’re worried about a friend find out how to support another student or speak to the Student Centre.

Culture shock

If you’re moving from another country you may need time to adjust to new surroundings.

Culture shock can range from missing the food you eat back home to more intense feelings such as anxiety.

Learn about culture shock and how to get over it.