Find out what you must do to comply with your visa obligations. You can also see our duties as your sponsor.


There are several things you must do to protect your immigration status.

Some of these are required by UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) so you can legally study in the UK.

There are also things the University needs you to do.

You need to do all of the above to continue studying with us.

We also have obligations as your visa sponsor, so we may need to contact you.

Different types of visa

Most of our students study with us on a student visa, although you may have a different immigration status, such as if you have Indefinite Leave to Remain or you are on a Dependant visa.

Not all of the below will apply to you but we still have an obligation to make sure you have the right to study with us.

Conditions of your student visa

You must:

Your responsibilities as a Sussex student

You must:

Keep your address and phone number up-to-date on Sussex Direct.

Things you must not do

Do not overstay your visa.

Do not get into trouble with the police or commit driving offences, such as driving without insurance or getting speeding fines.

In either case, there could be serious consequences for your immigration status and ability to study at Sussex.

Who to contact

In any of the above situations, let us know.

If you need advice, contact us using our international advice form.

If you’re an undergraduate or Masters student with changes to your documents or circumstances, speak to the Student Progress team. Call 01273 877093 or email

If you’re a PhD student, email or call 01273 876550.

Important: If you have breached your immigration conditions, we’re legally required to report this to UKVI.

Our responsibilities

We must:

  • inform UKVI if you have not registered with us by our latest registration date, or fail to re-register every year
  • contact you if your passport or visa documents are due to expire
  • follow the University’s CAS Issuing Policy [PDF 157KB]
  • make sure your contact details are current, including when you’re on a placement or field work or studying abroad
  • monitor your attendance and, if necessary, act accordingly to any concerns
  • tell UKVI of any changes to your study, including if you withdraw from your course (either temporarily or permanently) or complete your course early
  • report any changes to your visa category.


If you want to leave the UK or apply to extend your visa, make sure you do this before your current visa expires.

If you don’t you will become an “overstayer”. This is an illegal status in the UK.

Being an overstayer means you have no immigration permission to stay in the UK and the rights you had under your visa are no longer valid.

You can also become an overstayer if your:

  • current visa has expired and you make an invalid application or your application is refused
  • visa is curtailed (cancelled) by UKVI and you don’t leave the UK before your curtailment date.

Avoiding overstaying

You’re unlikely to be able to make a student visa application in the UK if you are an overstayer.

If you do, your application will be refused, unless you meet exceptional criteria.

Consequences of overstaying

You may lose the right to:

If you are stopped by an immigration official (or arrested by the police) you could be removed from the UK.

Overstaying can have serious consequences for any future immigration applications you make. If you overstay by more than 30 days, you normally will not be allowed to come back to the UK for at least a year from the date you leave the UK. Overstaying can also affect applications you make to enter other countries.

Our policy on overstaying

As set out in the CAS Issuing Policy [PDF 256KB], we have a strict approach to anyone defined by the Home Officer as an 'overstayer'. You will be immediately withdrawn from your course if you are in the UK past the point when your Visa has expired.

Who to contact

Tell us if you’re an overstayer or if you’re worried you might be. Contact one of our immigration advisers.

Our policies on attendance and engagement

We have policies on your course attendance, engagement and absence.

If you have any questions, contact your school of study.

See more from During your studies