If you have Covid-19 symptoms you must self-isolate and let us know using a simple form. All the details are available here.

Visa documentation

Whether you’re applying for a visa from outside the UK, or inside the UK, you will need to show some documents. See what you need to provide.

What to supply in your visa application

If you’re making a visa application, you must include:

  • a current passport or other valid travel documents (you need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa)
  • documents to show you have adequate funds
  • valid CAS (include your CAS number in the online form)
  • proof of parental/legal guardian consent and your birth certificate (if you’re under 18 or using a parent’s bank account for proof of funds) – speak to an immigration advisor if this applies to you.

Starting a new course

If you’re applying from within the UK to start a new course, you need to show evidence of your academic progress confirming you have successfully completed your previous course.

This may be stated on your CAS. If not, supply your original qualification certificates or official transcript confirming this. These may be the same certificates mentioned in the list above.

If you’re taking a second Masters or you’re a 1+3 PhD student, you may have a “highly likely to pass” letter instead.

Other documents you may need

In certain circumstances, you might need extra documents.

Approval for certain subjects

If you’re studying a science or technology-based subject, you may need to apply to the UK government for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate.

Tuberculosis certificate

If you’re applying from outside the UK, you might need a tuberculosis (TB) test certificate.

This will be the case if you have:

  • lived for at least six months in a country where tuberculosis screening is required by the UK
  • been away from that country for less than six months.

Check if you need to take a tuberculosis test. The clinic you use must be approved by the Home Office.

You’re exempt from needing a TB certificate if you have been away from a listed country for more than six months, or you didn’t stay there for at least six months in the first place.

You’ll need to provide evidence of this, such as boarding passes or stamps in your passport.

Important: Even if you are from a country where you wouldn’t normally need a TB test, if you’re living or studying abroad in a TB-listed country you will need a TB certificate. You should get this before you leave to make your application easier. It can be difficult and expensive if you don’t.

Police Registration Certificate

Some students from certain countries need a Police Registration Certificate.

If you’re applying from outside the UK for the first time, you will not have this.

If you already have one, you should include this with your application. Make sure it’s up-to-date.

Tip: Keep copies of all documents. All documents should be original unless otherwise stated.

Official financial sponsorship consent

If you have received official financial sponsorship for a course in the UK over the past 12 months, you need to prove your funds with written consent for your application from your financial sponsor.

Nationals who don’t need to provide all documents

You won’t need to submit education and financial documents if you:

  • are from one of the countries listed in appendix ST 22.1 (includes all EU nationals)
  • apply from your country of nationality, the country where you’re resident or from within the UK.

You don’t need to send evidence of your education and finances to UKVI when you apply for a visa, but you still need to have it available because UKVI may ask to see it.

If UKVI does request to see documents they’ll send an email to the email address you provided at the beginning of the application process.

It’s important you regularly check your emails (including your junk folder) for any messages from UKVI.


If a document is not in English, it must come with a fully certified translation. See government student guidance.

See more from Applying for a student visa