Proving you have funds to study

To apply for a visa, you need to prove you have the money to cover your expenses during your course.

Proof of funds

You must show UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) you can pay:

  • course fees as stated on your CAS.
  • £1,015 for each month of your course, up to nine months (a maximum of £9,135). This includes part months.

You can show you have these funds through:

Money in your or your parents’ bank account

You need to show this money has been in the account for a consecutive 28-day period. This 28-day period should end no more than 31 days before you submit your application.

You can’t use a business account to show funds (even if the business is owned by you or your parents/legal guardian) or money held by any other family members.

You must sign a declaration which states the funds are genuinely available for funding your study and living costs. UKVI reserve the right to check that these funds continue to be available to you.

If you use an overseas bank account, you need to convert the currency using Oanda, and make sure it remains above the required amount on the date you submit your application online.

Official financial or government sponsorship

Financial sponsorship is where you’re given money to pay for:

  • some or all of your course fees
  • living costs.

If Sussex is your financial sponsor, this information is on your CAS statement.

If you’re applying to extend your visa on the same course and you’re sponsored by a government or international scholarship agency, you must get your sponsor’s consent.

See paragraphs 209-213 for more information if you receive official financial sponsorship.

Money paid to Sussex

You can pay some or all of your fees and accommodation costs in advance.

Up to £1,265 of University-managed accommodation costs can be deducted from the amount of maintenance required. This reduces the total amount you need to show as part of your visa application.

If you have made these payments to Sussex, they appear on your CAS statement. If they’re not included, contact the office that issued your CAS.


If you’re a self-funded Masters student, you need to pay a tuition fee deposit of £2,000.

See our information about Masters deposits for international students.

Acceptable evidence of your funds

You must submit the correct documents and financial evidence when you apply. Your visa may be refused if you don’t.

Download our sample letters and example statements to help you with your application, including:

See more in paragraph 177-233 (Home Office policy guidance on Tier 4 PDF).

If you are a national of one of the countries listed in Appendix P of the immigration rules, you can only use funds held in certain banks.

See more from Applying for a student visa