If you are applying for a Tier 4 visa to study at Sussex, you need to attend a credibility interview.
Why you’re being interviewed
UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) use credibility interviews to ensure that only genuine students are studying in the UK. During the interview, a UKVI staff member will assess if you:
- meet the English language requirements
- are a ‘genuine student’
- can speak English well. Tell the interviewer if you can’t hear them clearly so they know that it is a technical problem, and not because you don’t understand them.
Ask for a copy of your interview transcript.
What you’ll be asked in your interview
During the interview you will be asked questions about:
- your background
- immigration history
- the studies you are planning to do in the UK
- why you chose the University of Sussex and your course
- how you intend to fund your studies
- how your planned studies fits into your career aspirations.
How to prepare for your interview
Use our example questions and related links to prepare for your interview. You can also email email@example.com if you need more information.
Example University of Sussex questions
- What do you know about the University of Sussex?
- Where did you find information about Sussex, and how did this influence your decision?
- Who helped you make your decision to study at Sussex?
- Can you find the University of Sussex on a map?
- Sussex is a campus university – what attracts you to the student lifestyle on a campus rather than in a city location?
Example accommodation questions
- Have you planned your living arrangements in Sussex?
- What type of accommodation will you choose (halls of residence, with family, shared rented, privately rented etc)?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of this type of accommodation?
- How much will your accommodation cost? Think about your monthly budget. Check our on-campus and off-campus accommodation costs.
Example travel questions
- How do people travel around Sussex?
- How long will it take to get to the University of Sussex campus?
- Do you know how much you are likely to spend travelling to university?
- Do you know about student travel discounts?
Example finance questions
- How much money will you need to live in Sussex? Where did you find this information? See our typical living costs.
- How are you funding your studies and living costs (savings (yours, your parents, family business, other family members) education loan, financial sponsor)?
- Are you planning to work part-time while you are studying? Do you know what the restrictions are? Find out about working restrictions.
Example course and study questions
- What do you know about the course you will study at Sussex?
- How would you tell another person about the value of this course?
- Why did you choose to study in the UK?
- Are their similar courses available in your home country?
- If the costs of studying are higher in the UK than in your home country, why have you decided to pay the costs involved with studying in the UK?
Example research questions
- What other UK universities could you have chosen? Why didn’t you?
- What factual information do you know about Sussex (course content, fees, reputation, facilities, location)? Find out about our library and academic facilities, and what’s on campus.
- Do you know the position of the University of Sussex in university league tables?
Example future plans questions
- What are your future plans after you graduate?
- How will your time at Sussex help you in achieving your goals?
- How do your studies fit into your career plans?