Find out how to get help if you or someone you know is, or has been, in an abusive relationship. 

Important: You may find some of the information in this part of the website triggering or upsetting. You can leave the Student Hub or see other wellbeing guidance instead.

Urgent help 

The University is committed to providing a safe, inclusive and respectful environment for every member of our community. If you have just been assaulted, feel you are at risk, think that others may be at risk, or need urgent medical attention find out how to get help or call the emergency services on 999.

Domestic abuse or relationship abuse 

Domestic abuse is a pattern of behaviour that is used by someone to control or obtain power over their partner or family member. It can happen at any point in a relationship, including after a relationship ends.

Domestic abuse does not always involve violence, there are many types of abuse including:

  • psychological
  • emotional
  • sexual
  • financial.

Domestic abuse is never the fault of the person who is experiencing it. It can happen to anyone of any age, background, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or ethnicity.

Find out more about domestic abuse including the different types of abuse and the Power and Control Wheel. 

Being in an abusive relationship can be a frightening, isolating, confusing and emotionally draining experience. You might feel confused as to whether you are experiencing domestic abuse. RISE (a charity that supports people experiencing domestic abuse and violence) have put together a list of questions, which might help you determine if you need help.   

Harmful practices

Female Genital Mutilation, so called ‘honour’ based abuse and forced marriage are collectively known as harmful practices.

Find out how to get help and support from the University if you have experienced a harmful practice or where to seek support outside of the University

Getting help from the University

To disclose an incident to the University and receive support use our Report and Support tool. This does not trigger a ‘formal’ report to the University, but it is the best way to seek expert advice and support.

If you decide against contacting the police, live in University-managed accommodation and need help at night or over the weekend, find out who to contact at the University.

Use report and support

Local and national help and support 

You can report domestic abuse to Sussex Police

There are also other services and charities that can help if you experience domestic abuse or violence: 

  • Clare’s Law: where you can find out if your partner has a history of domestic violence or abuse
  • Brighton & Hove Domestic Abuse Specialist Service: an agency offering local support for survivors of any gender with the aim of reducing the risk and increasing the safety of survivors of domestic abuse
  • Rise: a local agency offering prevention and recovery support services to those who have experienced domestic abuse in Brighton & Hove
  • National Domestic Abuse Helpline: which is available 24/7 on 08082000247 and includes access to refuge services.

Find other external support services including specialist LGBTQ+, Black Femme and Male advice lines.

See more from Getting help