Learn about the support available around gender identity to students at Sussex.

Questioning your gender identity

During your time at university, you can access a variety of sources of support around your gender identity.

You may also wish to meet with people from the trans and non-binary community at Sussex.

Support through transitioning

If you are transitioning or thinking about transitioning, you can make an appointment with a Student Advisor who will be able to guide you through the administrative process and support you in communicating with your tutors and fellow students. They can also advise you on procedures on taking time off from your studies if this is what you need.

An advisor from the Student Centre can also offer support around other areas of transitioning. Appointments at the Student Centre are confidential, and advisors are skilled and experienced at working with LGBTQI+ students.

You could also make an appointment with Therapeutic Services. Counselling is free and can help you explore and process your feelings.

Changing your name

If you’d like to change your preferred name or make a formal name change, please read the Guidance for student name change [PDF 210KB], and then fill in either the Preferred name change form [PDF 177KB] (opens in new tab) or Formal name change form [PDF 148KB] (opens in new tab).

Completed forms should be submitted to studentprogress@sussex.ac.uk along with a certified true copy of your legal document if you are requesting a formal name change.

If you would like a hard copy of a form, or would like some assistance completing the paperwork, please visit the Student Centre Welcome Desk, 8.30am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday.  

How do I change the name and photo on my ID card?

To obtain a new ID card with your chosen name, you need to visit the Print Unit in Hastings building. See the Print Unit website for the specific times when their ID card service is open. You should do this after you have changed your name on the University database as described above.

Ordinarily a replacement ID Card costs £10, but where a student is getting a new card because they are transitioning, a new card is free.

You will need to take your old ID card with you to return it, and to tell the Print Unit staff that you have changed your name. If you would like a new photo taken as part of your transition please also tell the staff as a new photo will not be taken automatically.

Check visa advice if you are changing your name while you’re a Sussex student.

Explore support services available to LGBTQ+ students.

See more from Support for our student communities