Find out how to access buildings, use services and report issues if you have a disability.

Getting disabled parking

If you think you need to park on campus, find out about disabled parking bays, the Blue Badge scheme and assigned permits for disabled students.

Accessing University buildings

If you need to check that a University building is accessible for you, you can use the AccessAble website to browse our independently surveyed buildings and spaces.

You can find out about planned work or outages that may affect access to buildings or parts of campus.

Report any concerns to

We’re redeveloping our West Slope with new buildings. Find out more about our campus development.

Library access

You can get step-free access into the Library through a side door next to IDS Bar.

We request this as part of your reasonable adjustments when you register your disability with us. You’ll then get this access added to your student ID card.

Quiet hours for food shopping

The Co-op supermarket on the ground floor of Bramber House adjusts its lighting and noise levels at certain times. This creates a quieter environment to reduce sensory overload.

Quiet hours are:

  • Saturdays from 11am to 1pm
  • Sundays from 3pm to 5pm.


You can see a list of disabled toilets on campus.

There is a Changing Places toilet inside the Student Centre.

Report an accommodation issue

If you have a concern about University-managed accommodation, you can report a housing problem.

Notifying our emergency support team

If you have a condition which means you’re at risk of a medical emergency on campus (such as epilepsy, diabetes, a heart condition or panic condition), you can form a link with our Emergency Response Team (ERT).

Contact Disability Advice to find out more about the ERT service and get added to its student list.

In an emergency, the ERT can be called on 01273 873333. You can also see more about who to contact in an emergency.

Fire safety

You may need a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) if you have difficulty getting to safety in the event of a fire.

After you’ve registered your disability with us, we’ll work out if you need a PEEP. If you need a PEEP, we’ll let our fire safety team know and they will contact you. We’d also tell your School of study.

A PEEP might involve you being safely escorted from your building, adjusting your escape route from certain buildings or being given a different assembly point if there’s a fire.

If you don’t need a PEEP, you may want to check the access routes and exits of buildings you often use.

You can ask our fire safety team a question about emergency evacuation processes – email

Get fire alarm text messages

If you are deaf or have hearing loss, you can get alerts sent to your phone when there’s a fire alarm.

To sign up for the Digital Messaging Service (DMS):

  • find the location code for the buildings you regularly use on campus – these are displayed at the main entrances to each building (example pictured)
  • text the location code to 07797 870 999
  • check you’ve received a confirmation text from the automated service.

Once connected, you will receive a notification by text message when the fire alarm for your building is activated.

See a full table of DMS codes for Sussex campus buildings in the “Fire safety” drop-down, and then the “Digital Messaging Service Building Codes” drop-down.

Assistive PCs

We have dedicated computers for students with a disability or specific learning difference. They have software and hardware that makes computer-based study more accessible.

Find out more about the assistive facilities available in the Library or book an assistive technology room (log-in required).

Space to rest and study

If you want a quiet space to study or relax, we have a room with adjustable lighting, medication fridges and rest areas.

It is based in the Students’ Union in Falmer House. It’s on the first floor with step-free access.

Find out more about the Disabled Students’ Room in Falmer House.

Quiet study spaces

The Library has quiet and silent areas as well as group study spaces.

You can identify which areas are designated for quiet or silent study as you explore the Library.

You can book group or desk spaces using the Click and Study system.

Check more places to study on campus.