Find out how to get help if you, or someone you know, has experienced spiking.

Important: You may find some of the information in this part of the website triggering or upsetting. You can leave the Student Hub or see other wellbeing guidance instead.

Urgent help 

The University is committed to providing a safe, inclusive and respectful environment for every member of our community. If you have just been spiked, feel you are still at risk, think that others may be at risk, or need urgent medical attention find out how to get help or call the emergency services on 999.

What to do if your drink has been spiked

To spike a drink means to put alcohol or drugs into someone’s drink without their knowledge or permission. This might be with the intention to incapacitate someone enough to rob or even sexually assault them. Although sometimes spiking can be intended as a joke, it’s a very bad joke that is both dangerous and illegal.

There is also some concern at the possibility that people are being ‘spiked’ by needles/syringes containing substances. Although this is much less likely than drink spiking, a lot of the advice for staying safe from spiking a drink can also protect you from the possibility of needle spiking too.

Find out what to do if you think you have been spiked.

Spiking is a criminal offence and while all venues should be taking steps to ensure they are safe places to be, you may still need to protect yourself, particularly if you feel at risk or you’re in a place that is unfamiliar.

Spiking should always be taken very seriously. We remind all students that it is unacceptable to introduce any substance into someone else’s body without their consent, including adding alcohol to drinks.

Find out more about spiking, tips to stay safe and what symptoms might be experienced. 

Getting help from the University

To disclose an incident to the University and receive support use our Report and Support tool. This does not trigger a ‘formal’ report to the University, but it is the best way to seek expert advice and support.

If you decide against contacting the police, you live in University-managed accommodation and need help at night or over the weekend, find out who to contact at the University.

USe report and support

Local and national help and support

You can report a spiking incident to Sussex Police.

You can also access other support services if you have been affected by spiking

See more from Getting help